Note from Nancy: My approach to healing is integrative in nature, where mind-body-spirit intersect in such an intertwined way that true transformation and healing cannot really be realized without attending to all levels. In that context, I offer other experts’ experience and skills in areas which address those that are outside my own expertise.
The article below is written by Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum, a board certified internist who has been in the forefront of treating
I’m delighted to share this article written by Dr.
Effective Treatment For Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia and Muscle Pain
By Jacob Teitelbaum M.D. (Guest Contributor)
Ready to Get Well?
Our study titled "Effective Treatment of CFS and Fibromyalgia"(Journal of CFS-see full text at www.endfatigue.com) showed that over 90 percent of patients improved with treatment (p<. 0001 vs. placebo), with an average improvement in
What is causing these syndromes?
CFS/FMS acts as a “circuit breaker”, with the hypothalamus decreasing its function to protect the individual in the face of what is perceived to be an overwhelming stress (just like blowing a fuse/circuit breaker in a house). This center controls sleep, hormones, temperature, and blood
Five main categories of problems need to be treated- Think “SHINE”!
These are the 5 key areas that need to be treated for your ‘circuit breaker to turn back on’ and for fatigue and pain to resolve:
1. Sleep. Because the hypothalamic “circuit breaker” that is offline controls sleep, most patients need a mix of natural and prescription sleep treatments. For you to get well and
2. Hormonal deficiencies. The hypothalamus is the main control center, via the pituitary, for most of the glands in the body. Most of the normal ranges for our blood tests were not developed in the context of hypothalamic suppression or these syndromes. Because of this (and for a number of other
Low thyroid, which reflects as fatigue, weight gain, cold intolerance and even unexplained infertility is especially common, and the majority of those who benefit from thyroid have NORMAL lab tests, so a treatment trial should be given (using natural thyroid hormones) if symptoms are suggestive.
3. Infections. Many studies have shown immune system dysfunction in FMS/CFS, which can result in many unusual infections. These include viral infections, parasites and other bowel infections, antibiotic sensitive infections and, most importantly fungal/Candida infections.
4. Nutritional supplementation. Widespread nutritional deficiencies are
5. Exercise as able. Do not push to the point of crashing the next day. Start by walking as long as you comfortably can (even if that is only 2 minutes). After 10 weeks
Another important factor to address, especially in the most severe cases, is orthostatic intolerance. This is when your blood rushes to your legs when you stand up, and stays there. It is often associated with some of the most severe cases of
You don’t need to do a $2000 tilt table test to see if this is an issue. A simple one-minute quiz from the Mayo Clinic Journal can tell you whether NMH,
When this is present, simple treatments such as increasing salt and water intake, and wearing thigh-high medium pressure (20 – 30 mm) compression stockings when up and about can dramatically improve function – along with a half-dozen other treatments for orthostatic intolerance
We wish you all of God’s blessings and our best wishes in your healing!
Jacob E Teitelbaum MD
1. To find a holistic physician who it is more likely to know how to get you well:
2. for numerous articles on fibromyalgia, see www.EndFatigue.com
3. the free Energy Analysis Program can analyze your symptoms and even pertinent lab tests to determine what is contributing to your energy crisis and how to effectively treat it. It applies the SHINE protocol principles discussed above (www.energyanalysisprogram.com )
Dr. Teitelbaum is a board certified internist. Having suffered with and overcome these illnesses in 1975, he spent the next 40 years creating,
He is the senior author of the landmark studies "Effective Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia -- a Placebo-controlled Study" & “Effective Treatment of CFS & Fibromyalgia with D-Ribose”.
He lectures internationally. He is also the author of the best-selling book” From Fatigued to Fantastic!” which is like a medical textbook on the illness, the “Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Solution” (Easy Reading), the popular Free Smart Phone App “ Cures A-Z” and “Pain Free 1-2-3- A Proven Program to Get YOU Pain Free! “(McGraw Hill 2006) His web site can be found
To read my article that I wrote for Dr. Teitelbaum click here.